Nothing is more comforting than the delicious aroma of freshly baked apple pie wafting through your home. The thought of biting into a warm, flaky crust filled with juicy, tender apples is enough to make anyone’s mouth water. Lucky for you, we’ve got the perfect recipe to help you achieve a perfect apple pie every time.
Begin with the most crucial part of any pie – the crust. Our Crisco Pie Crust recipe is the perfect balance of tender and flaky, making it the ideal companion for any pie. To begin, mix 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 3/4 cup of chilled Crisco® shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 4-8 tablespoons of ice-cold water until the mixture comes together. Roll the dough out into a circle, and voila! You have a perfect pie crust for any pie.
Now that you have your pie crust, it’s time to prepare the filling. For our Old Fashioned Apple Pie, start by peeling and thinly slicing six cups of baking apples, such as Granny Smith or Honeycrisp. Toss the apple slices with 3/4 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg. Pour the mixture into the prepared crust.
To make the pie look even more beautiful, arrange the apple slices in a circular pattern on top of the filling. Brush the top of the pie with an egg wash and sprinkle a tablespoon of sugar over the top.
Bake the pie in a preheated 375°F oven until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly, about 50-60 minutes. Allow the pie to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Just bite into it and enjoy the satisfying crunch of the crust followed by the sweet and tart filling! The flavor of cinnamon and nutmeg gives it a warming spice that matches perfectly with the sweetness of the apples.
Now, who says apple pie is hard to make? This recipe is easy to follow and makes a perfect apple pie every time. We recommend enjoying this delicious dessert on its own or with a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream. Give it a try; we promise you won’t regret it!
So forget the store-bought pie, and make your homemade version. The easy-to-follow recipe, coupled with the perfect crust, will make this apple pie the star of your next gathering.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chilled Crisco® shortening
- 4-8 tablespoons ice-cold water
- 6 cups thinly sliced baking apples (such as Granny Smith or Honeycrisp)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Whisk flour and salt together in a mixing bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add ice-cold water, one tablespoon at a time, until dough comes together.
- Roll dough out into a circle and carefully transfer to a 9-inch pie dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together apples, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour mixture into prepared crust.
- Arrange apple slices in a circular pattern on top of the filling.
- Brush top of the pie with beaten egg and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Cool for at least 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
You must try this recipe – you won’t believe how easy it is to make a comforting apple pie!