One of the most beloved and iconic video game series of all time is The Legend of Zelda. Set in the magical and fantastical world of Hyrule, players take on the role of Link, a hero tasked with saving the land and its people from various threats. One of the many reasons fans adore this franchise is due to its charming and endearing characters, one of which is the titular princess, Zelda. Known for her wisdom, grace, and intelligence, Zelda is not only a formidable ally to Link but also an incredible cook. In fact, she’s known for her delicious apple pie, and we’re going to share two excellent recipes for it!
Zeldapedia’s Apple Pie Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 2-3 tablespoons cold water
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening until particles are the size of small peas. Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost leaves side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons more water can be added if necessary).
- Gather pastry into a ball. Shape into flattened round on lightly floured surface. Wrap flattened round of pastry in plastic wrap and refrigerate about 45 minutes or until dough is firm and cold, yet pliable. This allows the shortening to become slightly firm, which helps make the baked pastry more flaky. If refrigerated longer, let pastry soften slightly before rolling.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into round 2 inches larger than inverted 9-inch pie plate. Fold pastry into fourths; place in pie plate. Unfold and ease into plate, pressing firmly against bottom and side.
- In a bowl, mix sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Sprinkle half of this mixture over apples. Add remaining apples and sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture. Dot with butter. Cover with top crust that has slits cut in it; seal and flute. Cover edge with 2- to 3-inch strip of foil to prevent excessive browning.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust, removing foil for last 15 minutes of baking.
- Brush crust with milk and sprinkle with granulated sugar while still hot out of the oven, if desired.
Zelda’s Apple Pie Recipe
- 6 cups of thinly sliced apples
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup of butter
- Pastry for 9-inch double-crust pie
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl. Mix well.
- Stir in apples until they are well coated.
- Spoon mixture into pie crust. Dot with butter.
- Cover with top crust. Seal edges and cut slits in the top.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
There you have it! Two delightful apple pie recipes straight from the Legend of Zelda universe. Whether you’re a fan of the games or just love a good apple pie, these recipes are sure to satisfy.