When it comes to baking pies, the type of apple used can make or break the final product. With the abundance of apple varieties available, it can be difficult to determine which ones are best suited for your pie. Luckily, we’ve compiled a list of the best apples for pie to help simplify the decision-making process.
First on the list is the Granny Smith apple. This tart apple holds its shape well during baking and adds a nice balance to the sweetness of the pie filling. Be sure to use a mixture of Granny Smith and sweeter apples for a well-rounded flavor profile.
Next up is the Honeycrisp apple. This crisp and juicy apple has a natural sweetness that complements the spices commonly used in apple pie, such as cinnamon and nutmeg.
Another great option is the Braeburn apple. This variety has a slightly tart flavor, but still maintains a sweetness that pairs well with a touch of cinnamon. Braeburn apples also hold their shape well during baking, making them a great choice for pie.
The Jonagold apple is another versatile option for pie. With a honey-like sweetness and a hint of tanginess, it adds depth to the pie filling. It’s also a good choice for those who prefer a softer texture to their baked apple filling.
Last on the list is the Rome apple. This apple is known for its firm texture and tart flavor, making it perfect for adding a bit of tartness to your pie. It also holds its shape well when cooked, ensuring a visually appealing final product.
Now that you’ve chosen the perfect apple(s) for your pie, it’s time to get baking! Here’s a recipe for a homemade apple pie with an easy oil crust:
– 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 cup vegetable oil
– 2 tablespoons milk
– 6 cups thinly sliced apples (use a mixture of the apples listed above for best results)
– 3/4 cup white sugar
– 1 teaspoon cinnamon
– 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
– 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, and salt. Add in vegetable oil and milk, and stir until evenly combined.
3. Press dough evenly into a 9-inch pie dish.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together sliced apples, white sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour mixture into pie crust and dot with pieces of butter.
5. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling.
Enjoy your homemade apple pie with the perfect combination of sweet, tart, and spice!