The Netherlands is known to many for its intricate canal systems, stunning tulip fields, iconic windmills, and centuries-old architecture. However, unknown to many, Amsterdam is also home to some of the world’s tastiest and most delightful apple pies. One of Amsterdam’s best-kept secrets – Winkel 43 – is a cozy, laid-back cafe situated in the heart of the city that has been serving the most delicious apple pies for years.
The first thing that catches your eye about Winkel 43 apple pie is the golden-brown, crispy crust, glistening with sugar. Not only does it look appetizing, but it also has a perfectly balanced sweetness and texture that complements the apple filling. The apples are freshly sourced from local Dutch farms, ensuring that they are juicy, sweet, and tangy, giving a perfect flavor to this Dutch classic.
Here’s the recipe to make your Winkel 43 style apple pie:
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 tablespoon sugar
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
– 1/4 cup cold water
– 8-10 peeled, cored and thickly sliced Granny Smith apples
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 1 tablespoon cinnamon
– 1 tablespoon lemon juice
– 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt.
2. Add the chilled butter cubes and mix until the mixture is crumbly.
3. Gradually add water, and mix until you can form a dough.
4. Wrap it in a plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour in the fridge.
5. Preheat your oven to 220°C (425°F).
6. Mix the apples, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and lemon juice in a bowl.
7. Take your chilled dough and roll it out into a circle that’s about 12 inches in diameter.
8. Line your pie dish with the rolled-out dough and trim the edges.
9. Add the apple mixture into the dough-lined dish and spread it evenly.
10. Roll out another circle of dough for the top crust.
11. Place it over the dish and trim the edges, leaving about 1/2 inch of overhang.
12. Tuck in the overhang and pinch the edges with a fork to seal.
13. Cut slits in the top of the crust and sprinkle it with some sugar.
14. Bake for 40-50 minutes, until the pie is golden brown and the filling is cooked through.
15. Once done, remove the pie from the oven, and let it cool for at least 30 minutes.
Our team of food lovers and traveler tried and tested this recipe, and we can assure you that it’s the best apple pie recipe you will come across. Now, all you have to do is indulge your taste buds in the home-made Winkel 43-style apple pie and savor the flavors of one of Amsterdam’s cherished culinary delights.