Y’all hungry yet? Well, I got just the thing for that sweet tooth of yours – apple pie! And I ain’t talkin’ no store-bought mess, I’m talkin’ homemade goodness that’ll have your taste buds doin’ the electric slide.
We start with the crust.
Get you a bowl and mix up 2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and a teaspoon of salt. Cut in 2 sticks of cold butter until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in 4-6 tablespoons of ice water until the dough comes together. Divide it in half, flatten into disks, and let them chill in the fridge for at least an hour.
Now let’s talk about the filling.
Peel, core, and slice 6-8 Granny Smith apples. Toss them with 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of flour, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg, and a pinch of salt. Take one of your pie crusts and roll it out to fit a 9-inch pie dish. Place it in the dish and add the apple filling.
Dot the filling with 2 tablespoons of butter and cover it with the second crust. Cut some vents in the top and brush the crust with egg wash. Bake at 375°F for 45-50 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
But wait, there’s more.
Want to take your pie game to the next level? Add some tapioca to the filling. That’s right, tapioca. It’ll help thicken up the filling without making it gooey like cornstarch can. Just sprinkle a couple of tablespoons over the apple mixture before adding the top crust. Trust me, your taste buds will thank you.
So there you have it, folks. A classic apple pie that’ll knock your socks off. Next time you’re at the grocery store, skip the bakery section and head straight to the produce aisle. Your stomach will appreciate it.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks cold butter
- 4-6 tablespoons ice water
- 6-8 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Mix flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in ice water until dough comes together.
- Divide dough in half, flatten into disks, and chill in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Roll out one pie crust and place in a 9-inch pie dish.
- Toss apple slices with sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add apple filling to pie crust.
- Dot with butter.
- Roll out second pie crust and cover the filling.
- Cut vents in the top crust and brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.