Hey, you guys! You know what time it is? It’s PIE TIME! And boy, do I have some scrumptious recipes for you today. I’m talking tangy rhubarb and sweet apple and walnut crumble. Are you drooling yet?
First up, we’ve got Edna Lewis’s famous rhubarb pie. This dessert is sure to tickle your taste buds with its tangy and sweet flavors. But enough talk, let’s get cookin’!
- 4 cups rhubarb, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 double crust pastry (store-bought or homemade)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together rhubarb, sugar, flour, nutmeg, and salt.
- Line a 9-inch pie dish with pastry and fill with rhubarb mixture. Dot with butter.
- Top with second pastry and crimp edges to seal. Cut a few slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 375°F and bake for an additional 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Let cool completely before serving.
Skillet Apple and Walnut Crumble Pie
Next up, we’ve got a sweet and crunchy treat for you! This skillet apple and walnut crumble pie is perfect for a cozy night in with someone special.
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
- 4 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (about 4 medium)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together apples, flour, oats, walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Spoon mixture into an ungreased 9-inch cast iron skillet, spreading evenly.
- Pour melted butter evenly over the mixture.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until top is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
Alright, folks. That’s it for today’s pie recipes! I hope you enjoyed them as much as I enjoyed sharing them with you. Now go forth and bake some deliciousness!