Ya’ll ready to step up ya baked goods game with these fried apple pies? Let me tell you, these pies will make ya grandma proud.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 4-6 tbsp cold water
- 4 cups peeled, cored and finely chopped apples
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp water
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Slowly add water, one tablespoon at a time and stir until the dough comes together. Roll the dough on a floured surface and cut out 4-inch circles using a biscuit cutter or cup.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and add chopped apples, sugar, and spices. Cook until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Place a spoonful of the apple mixture on one side of each circle, leaving room to crimp the edges. Beat one egg and 2 tbsp of water together to make an egg wash. Brush the edges of the dough with egg wash, fold over and press down with a fork to seal.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep pot to 375°F. Fry the pies until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels and dust with powdered sugar if desired. Serve warm.
Now that you have the recipe, it’s time to get frying! Check out these mouth-watering fried apple pie photos for inspiration:
The Best Fried Apple Pies Recipe (Homemade)
The Southern Secret to Easy Fried Apple Pies
Remember, the key to a perfect pie is to keep the dough cold, and use a nice, tart apple that won’t turn to mush. Enjoy!